Re: Shooting greeting cards

Elson,

You don't say what equipment you're working with now other then the lighting. I'll take a guess that you're using a wider lens if you're having the tripod legs show up in the frame. So, a longer lens will help. If you're using a 50 or 60mm macro lens try a 100 or 200mm lens. This will give you more working room and the tripod legs will be farther away from the subject.

To not have to place the cards on the floor get yourself some repositionable adhesive such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-Tack (which needn't be blue in color). Then you can stick the cards on a surface of your choice and not deal with the bending and stooping associated with photographing straight down. The adhesive isn't permanent and won't damage the cards.

If you only have the one light use a mirror to double it and fill in any shadows since you're working on a relatively small scale.

Or, use a flatbed scanner which has already been suggested and was my first thought on reading your post.

Cheers,

Rich