DIY flash gels

I saw a blip on the web about a method of making your own flash gels.
They had a file with all 27 colors of flash gels you could take to
someplace like Kinkos, print them out on acetate and wha la you have a
flash gel.

They would provide the file of the 27 colors if you signed up for their
free website (I didn't) and an entire set of gels would have been about
$15 or so.

Just curious if any one more knowledgeable could provide some insight on
whether or not this method would work and how to come up with the
correct colors (that is without going back signing up and downloading
the file) and some other way might work better.

This kind of thing always intrigues me.  I guess it is the natural
tickerer in me.

Mark