RE: photos at the end of the century

With regard to the use of Polaroid I say this:

When I retired from working in the computer lab I was told that "old
computer engineers use old computers"!

So I suppose "old photographers use old cameras".

I like old cameras and I am still considering buying an old plate camera
(well 1/4 plate) made of wood and brass and buy a newish lens for it.

I think the film will be available for a long time yet because, so far,
digital replacements are hyper-expensive.

I like the old cameras because of the effort required to set up an exposure.
At least 15 minutes. You first have to unpack the camera having loaded a
couple of plates into the carriers, set it up on its very heavy tripod,
point it in the direction for the view required, select a lens, open the
camera, put I the frosted glass plate, bury yourself and the camera under
the cloth, red inside, black outside, focus it, move the lens to the best
position to get minimum distortion and maximum range of focus, clamp up all
the setting, cock the lens and close it, put in the plate in its plate
carrier, take out the black cover, and press the shutter on a timer with a
cable release. After the 5 minute exposure, put the dark plate back, take
out the plate and turn it round and repeat for another exposure. Then take
the whole thing down and move elsewhere to repeat for the next exposure.
Continue until you have used your three dark slides and return home to
develop the film sheets or take them to a lab for processing.

Then you have to print them on the BIG enlarger.

I must admit I do prefer digital but the old plate camera is a wonderful
discipline when learning photography. By the way I have only exposed about 5
slides in my life!

Chris
http://www.chrisspages.co.uk