RE: Point & shoot cameras

On Fri, May 22, 2009 15:49, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Well I am going to make a suggestion that just might surprise a great many
> of you. (well maybe not but oh well) KEH www.keh.com has some great deals
> on used cameras.  There are a whole selections of cameras that are
> available that will out do most of the cameras you are likely looking at
> and for a huge sum of about $30 to $40 a piece.  You can probably buy 3 or
> 4 of those for what one of what you were expecting to spend.  You just
> have to be willing to say a 4 letter word.  "Film" You are going to get
> more value for your dollar, and would likely be able to put a camera in
> the hands of every kid in the class for MUCH less.

Yes, but they won't all be the same, making giving precise instructions
much harder.  And they'll be bigger and heavier.

And, the really big important issue -- the feedback loop gets stretched
across *days*.  The kids mostly won't remember what they did when the film
comes back, so making the association between choices and results will
require more focus and concentration.  I think this issue dominates in
choosing how to introduce gradeschool kids to photography.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info