RE: Recharging digital camera batteries

That really won't help.  There are battery chargers for the batteries from a USB port, but that means a laptop with power.  Laptop batteries would go as quick or quicker than anything else and I am trying to plan this for a trip of some duration in the wilderness ie no electrical power available of any kind unless I take my generator.  That is a couple of hundred pounds of weight, and would limit where I could go based on where I could drive.  Now I do have a 4 wheel drive SUV, and yes I could probably drive to places many couldn't get to in any other form of transportation, getting permission to do it is tougher and tougher.  A base camp is a possibility but I likely will be that far back and alone. (Ok for many it may not be the smartest thing, but I am comfortable alone in the wilderness)  Set up a base camp and leave it unoccupied and you may return to find it either gone, destroyed or occupied by something other than you.  Neither is a particularly attractive possibility.

What I would need is some form of system that would power a charger from some combination of regular disposable batteries.  Now the 12 volt auto chargers might be workable if you could find a battery that would produce the 12 volts from something other than a car battery which would be way too heavy.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Recharging digital camera batteries
From: Kostas Papakotas <clenchedteethphotography@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, April 27, 2009 5:52 am
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Mark, my limited involvement with flashlight Li-Ions tells me a big NO-NO to hooking up any power supply on a LiIOn batt without the use the proper charger,,,there are issues like the powering battery/supply not coping with the demand of the camera battery, or exceeding it...And LiIOn chargers work in a delicate way checking battery voltage and temp (since temp variance is connected to voltage termination)

And you do not want to loose proper final voltage charging termination...Battery life is the least of your worries....The volatile nature of Li_Ion chamistry is....

Now is your camera USB port chargable? There are power banks on the market (usually contain two 18650 Li-Ion batts) that charge devices via its USB port that may be the trick solution you need...

--- Στις Τετ., 15/04/09, ο/η mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> έγραψε:
Well just as an exercise in thinking out of the box, is there a product
out there where you can say take the battery out of say a Canon digital
SLR, where you can put the battery in the device and have it hooked to a
regular lantern type of battery and have it recharge the battery for
your camera.  The big 6volt lantern batteries come to mind but maybe the
old 9 volt cells would work better.  Yeah I know there are car chargers,
but what can you use to recharge when you away from both power and a
car.  Be real handy on a back packing trip or say when working some
event where you might need to recharge one battery while using another.
Anyone know of such a product???

Mark

Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!