Re: Travelling to tampa area, need a good lens for portraiture

At 18:28 07 04 2009, Veli Izzet Cigirgan wrote:
As I also do not already have a body (used Canon equipment before, but sold
all) I am thinking of buying a Canon 50D-500D or Nikon D90.

I am thinking of buying something 105-135 mm f/2.0

Well, you have a treat in store! One of my friends went from a state
of not having a camera, to a Nikon D200 in one step. He still marvels
at all the wonderful features now included as standard.

One thing to get your head around, is the 'crop factor'. Where the
sensor on a digital 35mm body is smaller than 24 x 36 mm, the field of
view is cropped, as if the lens focal length is longer, by the 'crop
factor'.

For example, on my Pentax K10D, the sensor is roughly 16 x 24 mm, and
thus the 'crop factor' is 1.5 (divide film dimension 36mm by sensor
dimension 24mm). So my 31mm lens has a field of view corresponding to
a 46mm lens.

Oh yes, I suggest you also consider the Pentax range: they are very
good value, and all the controls just 'fall to hand'. A delight to
use.

--
&i (: