Re: Leaf shutter on DSLR, why?

At 09:15 AM 3/19/2009 -0400, you wrote:
<snip>

Andy:

Such an arrangement would be useful for extremely short exposures, <1/100000 second ,that would otherwise be done in absolute darkness. A really short exposure electronic source could be synched to the leaf shutter at its max and centered with FP shutter at is full open max ( say 1/250 or so for modern focal plane shutters ).

Or, you could have a repetitive flash source against a moving object and use the same scheme to get a series of images on the same frame.

In any case, if you can think of obscure, obtuse and possibly unthought of (or little thought of) applications for a leaf shutter attached to a fp shutter equipped camera I'd be happy to hear about it. Like when Karl mentioned ripping LCD displays apart to extract their polarizing filters or the use of the LCD as a source of polarized
light. I incorporated both of these "tidbits" into the larger text related to
using the LCD as a viable source of polarized light for related applications. TX!

ok ... back to lurking so to speak!

andy

Cheers,
James