Re: Leaf shutter on DSLR, why?

Apologies to Per, Roger and Karl and all ...

You are correct. I was (am) quite aware of the "standard" possibilities of
a leaf shutter as opposed to a focal plane one. Such as electronic flash sync
at all speeds (allowing for the fact that at very short exp times one might
cut into the output of the flash) and simultaneous exposure of the image as
opposed to the sequential nature of the exposure made with FP shutter leading
to focal plane shutter distortion, etc.

Also, Roger, you are quite correct in that the exposure time on the DSLR could
have been less than 2 seconds but that would make synchronization more difficult.
I first fired the DSLR. Then the model we were photographing started to move when
she hard the DSLRs shutter open which then was an indication to me to fire the
leaf shutter. 2 sec. was just a matter of convenience.

As for eliminating daylight in synchro-sun exposures ... yes, the leaf shutter
did provide an advantage but today even my lowly Canon has "x" capability up to
a 1/200 second and the leaf shutter peaks at 1/500 second ... not much of a
"gain" so to speak.

Anyway, sorry about not being more complete last night. I had just come out of class
and was happy to have used a DSLR instead of doing the demo using Polaroid. This way
the students appreciated that they could do this and possibly appreciate the use
of a leaf shutter for 2nd or rear curtain sync applications. (I doubt it though!)

Further, some time ago I wrote up a little article on "tail flash" sync. I think
I posted the URL here in the past but so here it is again:
http://people.rit.edu/andpph/text-tailflash.html

In any case, if you can think of obscure, obtuse and possibly unthought of (or little
thought of) applications for a leaf shutter attached to a fp shutter equipped camera
I'd be happy to hear about it. Like when Karl mentioned ripping LCD displays apart
to extract their polarizing filters or the use of the LCD as a source of polarized
light. I incorporated both of these "tidbits" into the larger text related to
using the LCD as a viable source of polarized light for related applications. TX!

ok ... back to lurking so to speak!

andy