From: ADavidhazy <andpph@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Infrared schminfrared
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 10:04 AM

Let me add my $.02

Wavelengths beyond the red (at least for a while) are generally called infrared
(or near infrared if close to the visible, like from 700 to 1000 nm and far
infrared if above 1000 nm - I just made this up!) but anything that is
"imaged" by "thermal infrared" is essentially still infrared but it should
be clearly labeled as such and not just be called infrared. Standard digital
cameras, like film cameras, can't deal with thermal infrared since the bodies
would become warm by the mere act of holding the camera body.

AFAIK "infra" simply implies beyond ... there are a lot of wavelengths with special
names that are out there beyond infrared in all its manifestations.

Then there are the digital newcomers on the block that state they can through
software make infrared images - no! if you don't record infrared in a scene no
amount of software magic will include in the image any true infrared. One can
guess but never be sure since we can't see it.

OTSOTM and JMO - ;) andy