Re: traveling with expensive camera kit

Maybe the best advice is don't.

However if you must carry good photo equipment you could adopt a strategy that I have used.  Disguise it.
For example when travelling in my car the camera travels in a metal tool box - thieves might want to steal tools but they are more likely to want to take shiny aluminum camera flight cases. When its being carried around by hand it goes in a cheap jean's material mini rucksack.

Provided you are unlikely to need enlargements bigger than A4 Olympus and Kodak have within their ranges inexpensive 'bridge' cameras offering x10 and x12 optical zoom that you can carry in a jacket pocket.

In the UK such cameras would cost about £150.

Michael