Re: traveling with expensive camera kit

Andrew,

When I traveled out of the US here is what I did.

     I took my gear to the US Customs House nearest me.  We listed, on a form      provided by them, all my gear and the Customs Official put the "Official      Stamp" on the list.

     This was recommended to me by more seasoned international travelers than      I was.  The advantages to this are A: I had an official list verified by      the US Customs people.  And B: This list proved that I had the gear prior      to leaving the US so I would not have a hassle about any taxes for buying      out of the US and bringing it home with me.

Since I think you are more than a hobby photographer you should look into any insurance available to cover loss or damage if you are not already covered and be sure it includes international travel.

Any camera bag you might have should be as unobtrusive as possible.  No camera logo or name on the bag.  One guy I knew used a baby's diaper bag when traveling.

If you're taking a laptop with you you can easily transfer the images from the CF cards to a DVD at day's end.  If not taking a laptop perhaps you can find a shop that does digital printing and have the images put on a DVD.

I hope this helps.

Bob

Andrew Paul Brooks wrote:
Hi,
     Just after some ideas and advice on traveling as a photographer.  Me and my girlfriend are planning on doing a multi stop world tour,  and I really would like to travel with a good quality dSLR  but I have some worries about safety.  Does anyone have any good tips and advice.

Also I picked up a Cannon G9 with the idea of this being my travel camera,  as it's quite small,  but I've found the images quality is not really as good as I'm looking for,  can anyone recommend a compact which has images quality of a digi SLR(I have a D300 so would like a compact approching that)

Also any tips on file storage when traveling,  I tend to get through 8gig memory cards very quickly which creating getting the RAW elements to create my images ( http://www.andrewbrooksphotography.com/ )

Cheers in advance for any help

Andrew

--

                           /////