RE: photo storage question

Risk management 101. When dealing with data destruction, you should keep in mind the concequences of not destroying the data. If the drive contains missile guidance data or personal information on patients in a medcal facility then you better destroy the drive. If, on the other hand, the drive contains embarassing photos you took at the New Year's Eve party then there are many 'secure erase' programs available for free on the internet that will do a more than adequate job.

Writing to every sector 3 times does not make the data unreadable to someone with the proper tools.

Greg

From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx
I was thinking about erasing the data so I could sell them or give them away. But it sound like it is not worth the effort.
The latest Maxtor software allows one to write 0 and 1 to the whole drive and I do have a magnet some where. I don't have smelter but that sounds like the best way to recycle them.
I took apart one Jaz drive and it had a nice shiny disk inside. I assume it was something other than aluminum because of the weight.
Roy