Re: photo storage question

I was thinking about erasing the data so I could sell them or give them away. But it sound like it is not worth the effort.
The latest Maxtor software allows one to write 0 and 1 to the whole drive and I do have a magnet some where. I don't have smelter but that sounds like the best way to recycle them.
I took apart one Jaz drive and it had a nice shiny disk inside. I assume it was something other than aluminum because of the weight.
Roy