Re: Hello; for those with photo websites, best deals on free/cheap private domain name registration and/or hosting?

On Mon, February 2, 2009 12:39, k t wrote:
> Hello! I am going to be establishing several websites!
>
> As I research domain name registration and hosting, there seem to be
> so many variables popping up.
>
> Windows Livemail has a deal w/private domain name regis. free for the
> 1st year; but after that it goes up to $14.95.
>
> One thing I am wondering is whether, if I switch domain name
> providers, I can somehow preserve the name. But mainly I am interested
> in finding the best deal on establishing domain names/hosting.
>
> If I can get some input from web site owners that'd be great!

Never sign up on a service where they own your domain name.  So long as
you own it yourself, you can have it point to various sites, and move it
as you like.

If you have even slightly serious intentions, go for a real web host, not
something like Windows Live.  I'm with Dreamhost, which has its ups and
downs.  I'm paying about $8/month (could be less if I prepaid for 10
years, say...yeah, right), but for that I have shell access as well as ftp
access, and I can host unlimited domains and subdomains, and the email for
those domains and subdomains, large numbers of MySQL databases, and I have
very high disk and bandwidth limits.  I think it includes registering one
domain, too.  And there's a good community there, and a help wiki with
real info, and their email tech support is actually very good (I've never
gotten a useless answer, and I mostly don't ask the easy questions).  And
they have several CMS (Drupal, I think, and Wordpress) on one-click
install, and also the old class "gallery" photo gallery software (which I
don't like) and the very nice new Zen Photo gallery software on one-click
install; plus you can install anything that runs as CGI, and PHP stuff,
and Ruby-on-rails stuff I think, very easily.

I'm hosting <http://dd-b.net/> there, and
<http://richard.dyer-bennet.net/>, and <http://dbpromo.dd-b.net/>, and
more.

Then again, I'm a software eingineer and sysadmin, and did 9 years where
web development was my primary business; I may know too much to give
useful advice to somebody relatively new to it.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info