Re: PF member's exhibit on 12-13-08

2008/12/14 <Formyrotts@xxxxxxx> wrote:

                Guy Glorieux - First snow over Montreal

Neat photo!  It says it's rather early and to miserable for normal traffic but there might be a few folks on the road braving the conditions, I wonder what the little touch of
green is on the lower right, perhaps it was trash day and it's stuff waiting for pick-up?  All sorts of neat details.

Actually, this was mid-afternoon and there was a modest amount of traffic on the street.  But I worked hard at making the traffic disappear, as I assembled the panoramic from a selection of about 20 frames from a total of about 75 frames.  The green thingy's are recycling-containers left over from the morning pickup.

The trick with snow pictures is to set exposure such that snow will come out as white and not as 18% grey...  But if exposure is set such that snow comes out as white, then many other parts of the picture might come out as under-exposed.  So I always shoot several frames which I can then layer in PhotoShop.  Then your snow remains white while the rest of the image is appropriately expsosed.

Thanks,

Guy