Re: Something I wonder if anyone else is considering

Mark, I have a Dimage A2 which I still use and like a lot.  I gave up on the Minolta software shortly after trying it a couple of times. I suspect the scanner software is about the same in terms of usefulness.   I also use a number of Nikon digitals and a Coolscan IV and scrapped all their software as well.  There always seem to be much better alternatives.  Vuescan has worked great for me with all applications except the neg scanning function of the Epson 2450.  It doesn't seem to understand that.  Maybe I am missing a setting.
Don

Mark Blackwell wrote:
David

I am a bit like you to an extent.  I have some old medium format gear I rarely use.  I have an old 4x5 rail that I don't use much. Most of the time I use either 35mm or my old 6mp dslr.  Why?  The flexibility and freedom of movement.

Now I have a 30x40 on the wall made from a 6mp.  Even at a close viewing distance it looks ok, but in the small detail if you put your nose right up to the frame it is beginning to break down just a bit.

I haven't done as much with the newer films.  The biggest problem I had with scanning is what I thought was grain was really noise.  Noise Ninja went a long way to helping that and really haven't tested the limits of the old scan Elite 5400 with it.  I also got so aggravated at the Dimage software with its quirks that it made it want to send it to the bottom of a lake.  I am interested to see how vue scan works.