Re: Something I wonder if anyone else is considering

Years ago when I volunteered to work for a college yearbook, the editor lent me a Nikon FM without a manual and I used it trouble-free. Then in another office I used a Nikon FM2 for eight years, and before that a second-hand Pentax. All without manuals, and I was able to do my work.

Today, I have a Nikon D300 with 421-page manual, and I haven't finished reading it, and I don't understand some portions of it, and still feel the need to be a member of two online photographic forums and look at youtube.com once in a while. It's great, but sometimes I also feel like we seem to be trapped into something.

To paraphrase a line, I just want to make pictures. Why is that difficult?

Elson