Re: Something I wonder if anyone else is considering

In a message dated 09/12/2008 15:46:58 GMT Standard Time, mlent@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Why is it that we feel we have to have mind-crushing amounts of maga-pixels when a 6mp camera will produce excellent results for most print work
Maybe I have not looked hard enough but I have only seen up to 23mp in the adverts I have looked at - not even mind blowing - at least not until you get down to the line with the ££££££££££££££££££££ and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ signs.

Most print work - again from the ads I have been led to believe that 6mp might  be ok for 10x8 prints

However - as with half tone printing the size of the dots is only part of the story - the distance from which the print is viewed is important as well.

Half a century ago at this time of the year I saw Christmas messages and 'cards' sent between telex operators at RAF stations.  When viewed from a distance of 30 feet or so some of the pictures looked very good - Not only did the Telex operators have to type blind (there was no immediate local print out or screen for them to view their work but the only symbols they could use to make up their messages were those to be found on a standard typewriter.

The operators could also do a nice line in portraits of the famous, like Winston Churchill.

Michael