Re: Long digital exposures?

I do long exposures with digital quite frequently, and have for a few years now. I don't know about Michael Kenna-style (had to look him up), as mine are done in the dark of night and I don't know what his chosen time of day is. I also work in color where he seems to prefer black & white.

Results seem to vary with the camera manufacturer and model. I use Canon and most of the complaints and problems I've seen with long exposures come from Nikon users. They seem to be prone to heating in the corners referred to as "amp glow." I've never seen it with a Canon.

Digital noise is another issue. Cranking up the ISO will introduce noise, regardless of length of exposure or camera maker. Therefore I keep the ISO at 100 and the only time I see any noise is when I underexpose a frame. There is also some noise in extreme shadow areas when the lighting is very contrasty, but I think this is something different than the usual color noise from high ISOs--it's all white and quite random. I also don't find it very objectionable as you have to be looking at the picture at the pixel level to see it. I just ignore it.

Cheers,

Rich