Long digital exposures?

Guys,

I was looking at various high-quality prints recently that ranged from
P&S digital to 8 X 10 sheet film images. Some of the film images were
made with very long exposures - up to 15 minutes! I hadn't given much
thought about long-exposure digital images. But it dawned on me that I
hadn't seen any - at least not any that resembled classic film images.
Could one make, with a digital camera, Michael Kenna-type images where
everything is very sharp except moving objects? In other words - small
aperture, long, long exposure? No doubt something of the sort could be
done as a PS illustration. That's not what I want to do.

The problem is, of course, digital noise. Aside from noise reduction
software is there a digital technique, perhaps used with the better
cameras, that allows noiseless, minutes long, digital exposures?

AZ

Build a 120/35mm Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book.
Now an E-book.