Re: Program to see info on photos

Mmmm - sounds rather like Xnview actually! Batch processing, choice of algorithms , etc etc. Have a look at it Karl. I've found Irfanview somewhat unstable, and I don't like its interface either!
Here's a few of the things it will do:

Batch processing includes:
add text
autocrop
canvas resize
flip horizontal
flip vertical
clean metadata
crop
extract channel
flip vertical
flip horizontal
replace color
resize
rotate
set dpi
watermark.
These can all be saved if you want and reloaded when required...

Resize algorithms include:
Lanczos
Bilinear
Hermite
Gaussian
Bell
BSPline
Mitchell and
Hanning

It reads 476 different formats and writes 46 including PSD
It also reads, displays and converts RAW files (certainly up to D80), though without any parameters as in Adobe Raw Converter
It creates
Web Pages
Slideshows
and goodness knows what else!
Batch rename

Try it!!
http://www.xnview.org

Howard

karl shah-jenner wrote:
Howard writes:

Have another look - there's better programs in Windows than Irfanview - try xnview <http://www.xnview.com/> (or Fasttone <http://www.faststone.org/>although I'm not so sure about accessing/editing the exif data with this one, it's very good graphically)

Xnview gives you full access to image data including full editing of IPTC information, batch processing, lossless transformations etc etc and is a better program visually as well - I think!

I think the main benefits of irfanview are missed from people not installing the plugins, but the real strength of irfanview lies in its batch processing capabilities and its choice of resizing algorithms

as an aside, it took me quite some time downsizing an image of a slat table the other day in increments using different resampling techniques - blurring and sharpening as I went as needed until I had something acceptable at the end.  It turned out quite a frustrating and challenging set of images!

Moire and jaggies occuring if I overstepped only a tiny bit!
I'm glad I had the algorithms to deal with it for a straight resample/resize made the thing look like a staircase!