From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of karl shah-jenner
Sent: 30 October 2008 01:13
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Re: multimonitor setup

6 computers ?  What for ?

well!

1. My primary PC - imaging, email, browsing.  Matrox g450 dual, win98se

2. Games (Anita is a game head and sulks if I dont go monster bashing with
her) - good Nvidia gamez card, lousy 2D.. often runs concurrent with the
primary PC, a lot of the newer games dont run under 98 and I'm not filling
up my primary machine with games! win2k

3. Video and audio machine, hooked up to various audio & video inputs,
turntable, tapedecks etc. Matrox Parhelia dual video card, also used for
imaging with programs that don't run on win98, win2k

4. Downloader - shoebox sized EPIA motherboard machine for P2P, torrents,
large downloads, all updates for all the other machines, net monitoring,
logs etc, runs 24/7 consumes about 20 watts, win98se (hides under the desk)

5. Scanning machine - hooked to the flatbed Canon D2400U, the Sharp JX610 A3
film scanner, the Canon FS4000US film scanner, the HP ADF bulk document
scanner win98/win2k dual boot - MUCH easier to have a dedicated machine
grinding away while the resulting images can be worked on the primary
machine .. which feeds the results to ..

6. the fileserver/backup box!  2 terrabytes internal, another 2 external,
another low powered EPIA board with no monitor - tends to live under the
desk with the downloader but is not on all the time.  backs up the other
machines when it comes to life - full of ghosts ;) win2k

7. Print server, another shoebox sized EPIA machine, lives in another room
with the HP5 SiMX large capacity network printer and the Canon i9950.  I do
print jobs for a few small local businesses, having a print server prevents
a primary machine from bogging down under a heavy load - this is really a
hardware RIP - wireless win2k

then there's Anita's games machine -win2k - gawd knows half of what's on
that!, a dell p4, 3GHz lappy (HexPee), a tiny Fujitsu lifebook touchscreen
laptop (98SE), Another PC tucked away on the property on another 1.5k UPS
which runs the security cameras .. others get built up for specific purposes
then ripped apart after use and turned into other things (logging
oscilloscopes, test machines etc)

scary huh?

karl