RE: PF member's exhibit on Oct. 25, 2008

>             Peeter Vissak - Count the legs and divide by 2
>
> Yes there are quite a lot of animals in this flock. Is this a daily
> event
> that most people would not notice? Thank you for showing us your
> environment.

In October it becomes more and more common, i.e. it IS common already, but the numbers increase every year.
These are Barnacle Geese on their migration stop in West-Estonian fields. Usually they stay here on spring migration for about 1 month to feed on coastal grasslands. Some decades ago they traversed our areas in Autumn almost without any stops. But these days they probably find a lot of food here also in autumn migration time and stay here even in greater numbers than in spring.

People most gladly would like to shoot them - not for food, but to frighten them away and for revenge.
The state compensates some of the damage these birds cause.

In Oct 4-5 when countrywide bird-watching and counting took place, 50 000 Brent Geese were seen here.
About 1 goose per 1 square km  :) (Statistics is powerful!)

Peeter