Re: film/print scanner question

Rich,

I believe you're right about the film size. A long time ago I shot some 120, but not a lot so film size never entered my thought process.

As for the power, I don't do a lot of scanning so my 4400 gets connected when I am. Our primary reason for getting a new flatbed was that my old IBM flatbed* was connected via the parallel port on my PCs and the newest drivers I could find were either W95 and maybe W98. My wife wants to scan knitting patterns and stuff like that and the 4400 does that well and she gets a pdf file. I have scanned maybe three photos and about a dozen slides. The slides were scanned just to see how they would come out. I still have my Canoscan FS2710* film scanner and Vuescan works with it and XP or Linux.

*One of the first awards I earned when I was a new Ham Radio Operator was the "Junk Hunter" certificate so I still have the IBM FB and the FS2710 and other things like that. Anybody want an IBM Thinkpad 300? 8^)

Bob

Rich Mason wrote:

Bob, some things I noticed about the 8800 vs the 4400: The 4400 doesn't seem able to scan film larger than 35mm, is this correct? That would be a deal breaker for me, but I'm not sure about the person this is in aid of. The 8800 uses white LED light and the 4400 uses fluorescent and draws a lot more power on standby (1.5 Watts for the 8800 vs 4 Watts w/ the 4400)--that's money going down the drain for no good reason.

Cheers,

Rich