Re: Out-of-date equipment

14 okt 2008 kl. 17.53 skrev Marilyn Dalrymple:

There is nothing like the magic of a print emerging from a tray of chemicals or learning to read a black and white negative to see if you got that perfect exposure. That's what got me really hooked on photography.

Indeed, Marilyn! I was "exposed" to this experience at a friend´s home in the early n1950´s - and I´ll never forget that feeling of absolute magic. It remained through years of more or less seriously intended photography right up to my dismantling of my darkroom some five years ago.

Now, nothing short of a major collapse of our electronic "civilization" would make me abandon digital and go back to the chemical darkroom and silver imagery.

But, I have to admit, that element of magic just isn´t there any more. I miss it, and it´s the only aspect of film based photography that I do miss (except for the continuous supply of those plastic film cans that were so useful for almost anything....;-) ).

In any case: I´m glad I did expose both of my sons to the darkroom before dismantling it. I even contemplate buying some fresh film, paper and chemicals, just to show my grandchildren that not all images can be seel on a LCD right after pressing the button....