Gallery review

The Photoforum gallery each week is at <http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html>.

Peeter Vissak--Instructor--Everyone seems cheerful, and especially the instructor. The composition is interesting, with him sitting in the canoe still looking in size and position enough like he's part of the line -- but distinguished by the canoe leading in from the border. And I notice the tall and the short person in the crowd are about on the 1/3 lines horizontally. The reflections are useful, too -- keeping the water from being overly bright. It's a bit flat, though; and the histogram doesn't seem to go down to full black, which would explain the appearance.

Christopher Strevens--National Trust--I love the really old trees over there. And the sunlit areas, particularly through the trees on the left, manage to keep just enough color tone to add warmth. The sign is at the wrong level of size and sharpness, in that I feel like I should try to read it but can't. The whole picture is perhaps not perfectly sharp, and with that much fine detail it makes a difference.

Valery Firsov--Knight--Nice fancy sword. I don't know the period/location well enough, but is that mail kinda big rings? I'm amused at the modern plastic fasteners on the backpack in the foreground.

D.L. Shipman--Edge of my clearing--Weird texturing, almost hurts my eyes. I suspect it'd work better in a larger, higher resolution print.

Emily L. Ferguson--Niagara Falls III--Sure is a lot of water moving around there! At this size it's the wrong level of sharpness, or something; it just doesn't quite look right, my eye keeps trying to slide off.

Don Roberts--Black Canyon of the Gunnison--I can see how this would be rather challenging to record photographically. Deep shadows and direct sunlight and spray, oh my!

Jim Snarski--Nene--I'm always impressed by how the feathers overlay each other to produce the various effect the bird needs, visually or aerodynamically or whatever, and this shot shows some of that off very well indeed.

Pini Vollach--Boat & Duck--I very much like the workmanship details in the boat, and I like the array of (somewhat distorted) reflections the duck is swimming through, too. The image looks rather flat to me, and on checking the histogram it looks like you're not using a big chunk of space both at the bottom and the top. (If it hadn't looked flat I wouldn't have checked, or at least wouldn't have cited the tone use as a problem; but since it *did* look flat I went looking for more information.)

Thanks to everybody participating in the gallery this week!

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info