gallery review

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated AUG 02, 2008.
Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html
include:

        Lea Murphy - Emmanuel, Aixois kitchen, 2008

This is my image. I've photographed Emmanuel many times and he is always a challenge because he does not like to look into the camera...he looks all over the place. OR he'll look at the camera until just before I take his picture then he looks away. I think he is very attractive and I always believed 'pretty people' would like to be photographed and find it very easy. NOT SO. I am especially pleased with this image because I talked him through it...asking him to continue making eye contact with me through my lens. IT WORKED...but it took se >
        Valery Firsov - Musician

This guy has a wonderful face and a great smile. I wish his eyes were not shadowed by the hat brim. I am glad you didn't blast him with on-camera flash to open up that shadow and destroy the mood of the image. I do like how the angle of the guitar throat mirrors the angle of the horizon line. It makes the image appear to have been made on the move.

        Emily L. Ferguson - afternoon fog

I like the simplicity and cleanness of this image and that my eye has to work a bit to really make out the detail of the sailboat. Your boat images always impress me.

        Trevor Cunningham - ba lass="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space: pre; ">

I have absolutely no idea what this is. It looks like the head of a chicken or some such animal pecking at a pond, being photographed from the bottom up towards the sun. I'm confused by what appears to be dirt radiating out in circles from the center of the image. Actually, I'm confused by the whole thing. That doesn't make it bad, it just makes me unable to appreciate it.

        Laurenz Bobke - Caiman Portrait

I would have been looking for a new hotel had I seen this guy just a few meters from where I was staying. You are most definitely braver than I. I think it's a nice image. I'd crop tighter on the top and bring the focus down to his eyes, maybe even burn in the edges a bit but I would definitely retouch the red on his leg. I can't tell if it's a leaf or a wound but my eye is drawn there first every time I look at it and if you were to remove it I think you'd have a much stronger image. Whatever is coming across the bottom of the image from teh left side is also a bit distracting. I'd crop it out as well. How nice to have an image that is well focused, composed and lit...all you need is a touch of cropping and you're there.

babies. they're what i do.

<