Re: PF members exhibit 09-07-08

At 5:48 PM -0700 9/11/08, Trevor Cunningham wrote:
I kind of liked the mile-marker effect of the piles as you follow the swoop, but now that you point out the redundancy of the shapes...no, i still like it.

Thanks for the observations Emily!

Emily wrote:

Trevor Cunningham - torajan rice field

The
contrast between its curve and the curve at the base of the hill
makes me uneasy.

Yes, I agree with the "mile-marker" idea, it's the angle I don't care for. Thinking about what I might have done I think I would have tried to make the line with the piles of rice lead the eye into the terraces. Fooling the eye into seeing a rising hill of terraces is one of the first tasks to me. Generally it requires that one shoot from a position to the side so that the terraced hill crosses the plane of view. To do this you would have had to go way over by the closest pile of rise and shoot across the field.

The next task is to protect the foreground from splaying out with a monotone - the field in front of the terraces unfortunately would have done that if you'd gone back and tried to place the line of rice hills along the left edge of the image, unless you'd moved way into the terrace base and cut off most of the rice hills.

I deal with that all the time when I try to shoot a roadside scene that includes the winding roadway in the image. In the foreground the image becomes all macadam. Sigh. Very boring.

In your image, one way to deal with it would be to locate a field with 3 or more people working in it, thus breaking up the tan while keeping the hills of rice to the side and leading the eye to the terraces. And the people would have contrasted with the terraces, conveying scale and reinforcing the illusion of rising.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx