Re: Rear curtain synch question

If the light line is in front of the figure, then the flash fired at opening and the shutter speed was quite slow. Assuming the woman was walking at 1 mile per hour ( very slow walk but appropriate for a church ) then you can estimate the shutter speed used.

From the distance between pews, you can get the total distance covered in the shot ( shutter time open ).

So, assuming that the distance is 15 feet or so, then 1 mile per hour = 1.5 feet per second and the shutter open time would be 10 seconds.
For a faster pace, use 1.5 feet per second for each mph of walking speed.

The ghostly appearance is due to the flash exposure being combined with the time exposure.

If you have time and a digital camera, you can experiment with flash intensity and total exposure ( shutter / f/stop ) to see what flash intensity matches the overall exposure without flash.

Hope this helps.
James