From: herschel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sep 2, 2008 12:22 PM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: was Your Friend Bob now ...nikon vs canon - God spare us

Canon seem intent on cramming as many pixels into as small an area as they can. Then writing clever software to fix the noise.

As an ex- Canon endorser in the Middle East, (Actually I still am) I must say that my personal, possibly flawed, side by side tests with the 1Ds mk111 and the Nikon D3 have convinced me to go out buy the Nikon (Without the sizable discount that I would get from Canon) and buy expensive optics for the Nikon too.

Even if I upsize the MP count to match the Canon and compare side by side at 200 ISO, The colour, detail, highlight retention and NOISE, are better on the Nikon. At 400 or 800 ISO it's no competition

I still have a good collection of Canon and I must say that the 1ds MkII, with 70-200/2.8 is hard to beat
but the new 14-24/2.8 Nikkor is just amazing... beter than my 14/2.8 and my 24/2.8 pretty damn good lenses in thier own right.

I'm sure there's nothing between the brands in the prime lenses, and quite honestly I prefer the feel of the Nikon primes (I still work mostly with prime lenses.. 50mm/1.4 where possible-age showing)

Too many pixels guys... means low signal to noise ratio and too much noise.

There's the lid off the can of worms... ooops

Herschel

>> Why are we getting spammed with this? I neither asked for this nor do I
>> want
>> it.

Foto/SFX, San Jose, CA 408-835-1184
http://www.aviationphotographers.org/, http://www.fencecheck.com