Re: and now 3D without glasses

Roy writes:

: With Nimslo you have to look thru a viewer or make lenticular prints. This
: is old technology just applied to tv. Lenicular images aren't anywhere near the
:  3_d effect you get at a movie by looking thru polarized glasses at Disney
: World. Looking at 2 still images thru a viewer that direct each eye to a
: different image produces a real 3_d effect but your still looking thru a  device of
: some sort. Hardly "and now 3D without glasses"

the Nimslo was designed to have lenticular prints made - a few enthusiasts would play with viewers but that wasn't the way they were designed to be used.

Then there's lenticular grids ..and there's lenticular grids.  Having seen the low quality ones used on the Nimslo prints I'd agree that they weren't ever going to sweep the world, having seen HIGH quality ones, I'm impressed.  but I've not yet seen the new screens..

For longer than any of us have been alive 3D without glasses has been a goal of many photographers.  3D has been one of the most persistant of photographic 'fads', yet one that dies as regularly as it is resurrected.

True, 3D polarized glasses can yield a better 3D effect, but they are still glasses dependant.  Likewise viewers..

and when we talk 3D lets consider that what a lot of folks do - setting the lenses at the standard interoccular - which is (to me) an inferior 3D compared to wider spaced lenses.  so much for '3D' !  two, three or four 'planes' of depth in an image - pah!

My own images do not appear to have 'planes' at all.. instead the eye draws back and forward through the image with the only distinct planes being the near and far limit of sharpness.

though effectively I *still* do not have 3D, for we're stuck with our heads in one place, looking at a single point of view unable to move from there.  It's all grades of 3D attempting to approach realism - but none ever achieve it - so they're all flawed

there's never going to be a perfect 3D effect irrespective of the mechanism when we talk of 2D images, however, the screens DO offer 3D (however poor) - and they do it without glasses.  Enough so that the few reports from gamerz have suggested the effect makes them dizzy and their heads hurt ;)

Slapping a lenticular grid over a screen is nothing new - and 3D glasses for home use have been around long before LCD's were available too, but now it's approaching being a consumer item rather than an expensive specialty .. and without flicker glasses