Re: Film/Slide Scanner

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b@xxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 12:06 AM
Subject: Re: Film/Slide Scanner

:
: On Thu, September 4, 2008 09:33, karl shah-jenner wrote:
:
: > I'm confused - so many people have good DSLR's these days yet when it
: > comes to digitising slides they still scan when using any old slide copier
: > would be *so* much quicker and give results as good as their wonderful
: > dslr can take
:
: My DSLR doesn't have the resolution of my scanner.  I haven't checked that
: it has the brightness range.  And the final, totally damning, irremediable
: problem: my DSLR doesn't have ICE.  I cannot imagine scanning old color
: slides without ICE.

we all carefully prepared negs and slides before printing or copying, using an antistaic device and a fine brush to remove all traces of dust - but I confess to seeing few if any people ever do this when scanning..

the resolution seems to be OK on DSLR's for people to take pictures, many arguing that even in the 6Mp days, there was/is more detail available as a digital original than a film original (I have always disagreed) -

And RAW supposedly has the dynamic range .. certainly more range than E6 film captured anyway even though the contrast ratio in the slide may be higher..

and now camera RAW's can be imported into Vuescan for the benefit of decent film image cleanup