RE: Best Web Pages - Thanks!

Yes, thank you. That is the problem I have been having. To get around it I made the images quite small but of course, it is less than ideal for viewing. I do use smugmug and like that site very much but if you want copy on your page that is a problem. At the moment I am using 1 & 1 which is relatively inexpensive and has some nice features. Have been thinking of combining the two so that the copy and tiny images are on the 1&1 site with the larger mostly protected images are on smugmug. Not very user friendly, however.

Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 16:48:10 +0200
From: per@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Best Web Pages - Thanks!
To: photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

16 aug 2008 kl. 16.06 skrev Dona Tracy:

One of the problems I see is that if you are wanting to sell your photographs on line there is little to prevent people from simply saving and downloading the photos. Any thoughts?

Yeah, there´s that....

With most HTML-based albums, it is VERY easy to drag an image right off the page for anyone interested; so-called "right-click blocks" are easy to circumvent.  All browsers can be made to display the source code of a page, and therein is the URL of the original image, for anyone to see.  Some tricks with frames &c can make it a little more difficult, but that´s only seen as a challenge....

A Flash-based album is (can easily be made) immune to these simple ways of pilfering, but more accomplished hackers will overcome that obstacle, too.  And, for simpler souls, there´s always the possibility of a screen dump (where the perpetrator does lose some image quality in the process).

Invisible watermarking can be used as evidence when (if) a thief is caught, but doesn´t in any way prevent "personal use", including making prints.

So, any image worth money must either be shown too small to be useful, or have some visible (and thus distracting) watermark within the image area itself.  Neither is ideal.

Per

Get ideas on sharing photos from people like you. Find new ways to share. Get Ideas Here!