RE: funeral

I wouldn't be so quick to call film gone.  It will change, but all in all there may be some upsides to some of the changes.

First of all digital will and for all practical purposes taken over the consumer market.  That will end the days when any drugstore would be able to soup your film in a hurry.  It will affect the development of new film cameras.  You may already have seen the peak of film camera development even though technology will march on.  Still I have been considering picking up a used Canon EOS 1V to use the rest of my life.

Film still has a number of uses that at this point digital can not really match.  We know a great deal about long term film storage, but not so much about how digital archiving will work in 40 years.

The one good thing is that when you do find someone that will do your film for you, they are far more likely to know what they are doing than the teenager on a summer job trying to make college money.  Every one has seen the type.  They got 5 minutes training from a manager that couldn't tell the difference between a shutter speed and an f stop, and all of a sudden they are experts.  Then they take the roll of Velvia you brought it to send out, and get it mixed up the with Kodak Portra 160VC, and film is film right so they just run them both through the C 41 chemistry.

You also may have to return to the ways of photographers of old.  Do your own.  Local processing may not be readily available at all in many areas.  Yet for the longest time photographers were expected to be able to do their own darkroom work.  Like most of you out there I still do for all my black and white work.  I can do color IF I REALLY REALLY had to, but I would sure like to avoid doing so.

Though the big companies will cut back, I believe that for a long time to come smaller companies can take the demand out there for film and make a thriving business out of it.  Would it be enough for a major multi national corporation to consider important?  No but it would be profitable for much smaller companies and last I heard, you don't go broke making a small profit.