Re: Adobe Lightroom

I upgraded to v.2 the day it was officially released (two days ago). There are quite a number of enhancements, specifically in the Develop module (clone tool, specific camera profiles now loadable, etc.); thumbs rendering is faster, and the library module works across different media and drives. Loading presets is a snap, and you can write any file changes to XMP, which is great if you want to track changes to individual images. XMP is read by other programs as well, so the changes will be acknowledged in, say, ACDsee Pro or Bibble Pro for example. V.2 still lacks a perspective control tool, but adds regional editing capabilities, something you don't find very often in other DAM systems. Some say the RAW file converter (ACR 4.5) is doing a much better job now, and - using the specific camera calibration profiles (see here for a video on how this works http://www.vimeo.com/1439107) - it comes very close to what proprietary tools like Nikon's Capture NX2 can render.

The note below re v.2 "eating" 1.x catalog is due to user error. I followed the discussion on DPreview and it's rather obvious what went wrong. I installed v.2 _parallel_ to v.1, and now have two separate LRCAT files, one v.1, another v.2.

Tooting my own horn a bit (versus holding up Adobe's flag), here is a LR developed picture of a swampscape: http://hahn.zenfolio.com/p44708283/?photo=h10929B00#278043392

Hope this helps.

Tom

Thomas H. Hahn, Ph.D.