Re: How many techniques?

> I'm curious if anyone would think it an interesting theme for a future
> gallery to offer up images that hold the highest number of techniques such
> as levels, filters, layers, masks, etc.? For me, I think the most
> "techniques" in photoshop I have used is about 4. This could translate I
> guess to either an image almost excellent from the start, but more likely
> a less than profound imagination._grin

More is neither better nor worse, and indeed I do a LOT less to pictures
that start out good in-camera :-).  (I've been known to bemoan the amount
of my life I've spent turning bad pictures into mediocre pictures -- that
is, 'restoration'.)  And stating this in terms of "number of techniques"
runs the risk, even in this fairly enlightened company, of turning into a
<crude-term-for-male-generative-organ>-size contest.

On the other hand, I *know* I could stand to learn a lot more about
"serious" "printing" (trying to generate files for making
exhibition-quality prints of images), and I'm willing to guess that the
topic is of interest to a number of other people here as well.

This is "art"; so I strongly suspect that specific, detailed discussion is
going to be more valuable than broad generalization (and especially than
negative reaction to broad generalization :-)).

It might be interesting to do a themed gallery with image versions we
consider "fine", towards the high end of what we're able to do, where we
show the prints together with as detailed a discussion of how *and why* we
did it, each step along the way, as we can stand to produce.

Another approach that might be interesting is for a small number of
photographers to offer up an original image that those who cared to could
try their hand at preparing for exhibition.  Again, the description of
what was done *and why* would be very important to making this valuable.
We could even do an iteration every week (or month; give the discussion
time to run!) for a while, with different people offering up an image and
whoever cares to trying to make an exhibition version of it.  (Images as
camera originals, preferably in raw form, please, or full-res scans
unedited).  I'd be willing to contribute an original I thought had some
potential for that treatment, if people were interested.

I've done a couple of short articles with some simple work on photos, but
I haven't yet written up a full-bore attempt at an exhibition print.  But
on the basis of the ones I *have* done, I can promise you that doing even
a rather sketchy job is a *lot* of work. I think it might be worth it
though.

<http://dd-b.net/ddbcms/2008/06/using-curves/>
<http://dd-b.net/ddbcms/2006/06/simple-printing/>

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info