Re: Interesting (scary) article.

The article is scary. I suspect it boils down to carry a P&S and everyone thinks you're just an amateur. Carry a big SLR and lens and you're not only a professional, but you're easily identified as a photographer not a snapper.

On this theme:
I teach Photography at my local secondary school near London. The Local Authority has laid down very strict (too strict, in my view) guidelines for photography in school. Even after I'd stopped to think, they will make my life much more difficult - I reckon I'm going to have to try to monitor everything my students photograph...and staff as well.
To summarise:
Pupils' photographs can only be taken on an official school camera - not on a teacher's personal camera or mobile phone. Pupils' photographs must under no circumstance be taken home in case a paedophile in your own home has access to them.
Pupils' photographs must not be held on personal computers at home.
Pupils must be at all times appropriately dressed - e.g. never photographed in leotards or swim suits which makes a mockery of swimming competitions / galas, gymnastics, dance, athletics, etc. (Don't know what to think about my older girls (16+) who frequently wear low-cut tops! At least I don't normally photograph them) Pupils must not be photographed without written parental permission (I do actually agree with that one - if they are under 16)

The guidelines make no reference to memory cards or sticks which can easily be loaded up with photos and removed by anyone who wants them.

Where we stand on photographing pupils for school records, I don't know. How a school photographer will cope with this I don't know. I have hundreds of photographs taken at school going back to when the school opened, in 1973, including some - horror of horrors! - of girls in leotards doing gymnastics. Taken at school's request!

The whole issue is sheer paranoia. There apparently is no evidence that any children have come to harm from school photography. There is always going to be a small minority of paedophiles in schools and obviously they need to be identified and removed from their jobs. But this blanket approach serves no value in that regard.

Here's a link to photographs I took for a local teacher training scheme <http://leigh-photography.co.uk/SCITT-Index.html>. I've broken the obvious guideline here of not taking photos home, though the guideline wasn't operative at the time. I will be taking these down soon as they are no longer needed.

Howard

P.s. Quite the contortionist the person in the photo...do I see two thumbs on one hand?

Rich Mason wrote:
Bonus points for anyone who can tell me what's wrong with the picture that accompanies that article.

Cheers,

Rich