the importance of printing

I have been crabby lately. Really crabby. Mostly I think it's a mix of hormones with some very, very needy clients and a huge workload of unfinished details.

Saturday morning a friend said something to me that was like a kick in the butt. It was, "Are you going to be about babies like you are about weddings?" And I was stopped dead in my tracks.

It made me sad to think that I could be giving off the sense that I don't love my kids and my work and the niche I've carved for myself photographing them.

But it also made me realize that I really DON'T like my workload right now and I've been wrestling with why.

And yesterday I figured out the missing piece: I've not printed any of my personal work for ages. When I say ages I mean months and months.

I have not printed any of my stuff of my dear muse niece Rachel, any of my abstract images from the day a friend and I went out shooting back in December, any of my Lensbaby images from way back when I took a day off to go to Atchison.

I changed that yesterday and I sat at my computer and played with images, messed with sizes and shapes and colors and edges and I PRINTED them and man oh man did it feel good.

Last night when I crawled in bed to read before going to sleep, Ruth asked what I was reading. It's a new book called Taking Your Photography to the Next Level.

She asked me what my next level was.

I told her printing.

She looked puzzled.

Not printing would be like taking rolls and rolls of film and stuffing them in a drawer and never developing them and never printing them.

In a million years I never would have done that when I shot film; I used to practically trip down the stairs in excitement to get to the darkroom to process images when I finished a roll of film.

I explained that for me being a photographer isn't just about getting the image, it's about creating and seeing the finished print.

Yesterday I figured out that essentially what I've been doing with my personal work is getting the images and shoving the the film in a drawer.

I had no idea the impact not printing was having on me.

I'm happier today than I've been in ages.

Lea

life is short. photograph it. and print it.
www.leamurphy.com