Re:not a Stupid question

Linda asks:
-----
ok, biting the bullet and showing my immense ignorance.

If someone says to submit a photo that is 640x480, what size is the photo?  Can it be two different sizes and still be 640x480, say a 9x12 or 16x20?  Will the clarity still be there for viewing say on a pull down type movie screen?  Sigh, thanks for any help ahead of time.  Linda B.

Think of it this way, I have to drive 3 miles to a turnoff..

if I travel at 5 mph this time, 10 miles per hour next time and 100 mph the time after, how far do I have to travel?

it's still 3 miles :)

the scale of time has nothing to do with the distance you have to travel.

for another example below is a 3 dot x 1 dot 'image' at different sizes - as you can see, it could easily be any size;)

. . .

as to clarity on a screen, that's another good example of how big an image is - if they project a close, small image and you're sitting close it'll appear quite sharp, if they project it huge and you're sitting close you'll see lots of BIG pixels and realise that a 640x480 image has not a lot of information in it ;)  Hopwever if you sity a long way back from the huge image it will naturally  *look*  small, and everything will be fine, it'll look perfect.

and ignorance is a perfectly natural state, accepting it is however, not a good thing ;)