Re: apple mac update time!

At 1:59 PM +0800 2/13/08, karl shah-jenner wrote:
2 points

1 - update time for apple users who don't keep abreast of things. I supposed not all users are immediately aware of updates as they come to hand..

If they've set their Prefs to an interval they will get told automatically about these updates. Once told they can then select the ones they wish to follow through on or put off doing the updates until it's more convenient.

I believe the default interval is once a week, although I generally keep mine set to once a month.

2 - it's a lot of fixes for an OS that claims to be a straight out of the box OS. Not that I'm a fan of Windoze, certainly not the latter OS's, but the MS fixes for the same period and comparable repairs to the OS totalled 13.9MB for XP - also largely overwrites. I found it a huge surprise.. not having looked closely of late at what Mac has been doing.

Well, Apple is always trying to improve, so some of the updates aren't "fixes" so much as upgrades. And then there are the Security updates, which Apple chooses to do in small doses rather than massive adjustments. A small dose would be around 40-60M, in my experience.

And, of course, as the web evolves Mail, Safari, iTunes and Quicktime must adjust. So updates in those apps are pretty routine and not so large. Then if you've got an iPod and they bring out a new model, like they did a couple months before Christmas, that needs upgrading.

Lots of such things.

On the other side of the whole matter is a friend of mine who just bought a new 20" iMac. She had been using a graphite iMac (the tetrahedral type that used to come in garish colors) for 4 years or so and was on dialup, as well as still using OS 9.

The poor dealer was stunned to find that she had not ever even used OSX. They had to install it on her iMac in order to move her files from it to her new computer. Interestingly, however, she was perfectly able to use the web with IE on her old Mac, even though Micro$loth stopped supporting and upgrading IE three years ago and she only used it when she had lots of time for the dialup.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx