Re: Photographers Still Using Film

Indeed, that is one way of looking at it.  Silver Gelatin is only one process, though an extremely popular one over the last century.  And, from a fine art point of view, a rather boring one as well, considering the broad range of light sensitive substrates and their varying levels of technical challenge.  However, as you mentioned daguerrotypes, unless you're a purist, you'll likely incorporate digital technology, or a gelatin negative, into the mix.  Certainly the safest approach to these techniques.  I do believe HF Talbot, and certainly a number of others, died prematurely from years of exposure to nasty chemicals.

It's my understanding that the introduction of roll film simply made photography more consistant, economical, and popular...with this in mind, in a logical world, the argument against digital is pointless.

David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I support the idea of people working voluntarily in obsolete processes

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears it's true" - J Robert Oppenheimer