Re: Details about the Yahoo site

Laurenz,

I understand. Unfortunately we are "stuck" with the naming convention since
that makes it efficient in terms of preparing each week's update and does not
require that my staff here do much thinking. As you know that is dangerous!  ;)

I guess I could upload the thumbnail versions of the pages but these days that
is a significant undertaking since these go back a ways ... I don't think quite
as far back as the first installment in 1996 but at about 50 pages per year even
if it is 5-6 years it is a lot.

Cheers,
andy

Laurenz Bobke wrote:

Andy,

this site tries to archive the whole web regularly, so I would expect quite
a few discrepancies.
I'm afraid that some of them are due to the naming conventions for images
and thumbnails however: for example, I checked some of my contributions and
the thumbnails always were "bobke-1m.jpg".
Now, how should a search engine really figure out that these are not the
same images?

Despite this, the thumbnails I looked at seemed to be correct.
So, it's not perfect, but better than nothing. Maybe we could archive the
thumbnail pages somewhere else?
I sometimes find it hard to figure out, which pictures I already
submitted...

I found the web archive quite useful a couple of times to prove that
contributions to some online services had actually been copied from my own
website.
If your page has a decent page rank and doesn't change too often, chances
are, it will be correctly archived.

Laurenz
http://www.travelphoto.net/