Re: Photographers Still Using Film

Mark Blackwell
writes:

: I really never understood the one is better than the other debate.  They are two different tools each with advantages and disadvantages.  Ask a carpenter which is better a hammer or a saw?  Both do different things.

nicely put

 <good stuff clipped>
: What's best is what you need to meet your needs or in the case of a pro the needs of their client.

a solid point.

Much of commercial output ends up digitized at some point in the process toward seeing the final image in a magazine, book, newspaper, TV ad, etc etc - for this alone, starting the image making process as a digital image has some real advantages.

Before digital cameras were cheap enough, I shot my ebay sale images on film and scanned them - what a pain!

Before digital I shot magazine images on film and then had fights with the graphics guys who wanted to flatbed scan prints rather than accept a scanned film image ('it wouldn't open' / 'I can't use that file format' / 'I get better images with my Plustek flatbed' :P  )

shooting for these guys is a breeze now, all I have to cope with is the dpi (X x Y) issue ;)

karl