Re: Photographers Still Using Film

Speaking to the issue of cost......

I had a Canon EOS-3 that cost me $850. I have a Canon EOS-20D that cost me $1200. I'm not a full time pro so the 20D fit my plans. If i was a working pro a digital SLR would have cost me $4500 or so, if I went full frame we're talking $8000 for the body.. If I remember correctly from my days in the camera shop I could have sold my -3 for $425 - $640, (50-75% of new) Assuming I sold it for $500 my new DSLR is now somewhere between $700 and $4000 or $7500.

Then there is the cost of CF cards. These can be reused many times their cost isn't really part of the equation.

Now I need Adobe Photoshop. Add another $650 or so. Hopefully my pc is capable of doing the type of graphics, or imaging work, that I will be doing. It better have a good display adapter card so I can accurately see the colors of the photos I just shot. If I plan to print every image worth putting on paper I need a good photo printer. These can be had for reasonable prices, but the ink is another matter. (I call the photo printer deal the, "Polaroid Syndrome". Polaroid had great prices on decent cameras and made a bundle on film.)

When I shot weddings or other events I would send the film to the lab and look at the prints when they came back Now if I shoot an event with digital I send the jpgs to the lab, after I sorting through the 1500 or so shots. If I was shooting film I would have taken less shots. I'm getting somewhat sloppy in my shooting because I can fire away at some fps speed and get a good picture or two. With film I spent more time considering each shot. Since I shot the same film and camera for years I pretty much knew what I was going to see on paper. I didn't send it to a laptop to make sure.

If I shoot MF with Hasselblad, for example, a new 503CW is $5k A H2 is $3k, and a H2F is $2.8K while the digital bodies H3D-39 is $25K ($25000) the H3D-31 is $22K and the newer H3D11-39 is $34K , the H3Dii-31 is only $27K and the 503CWD is a mere $11K.

Once I get past the camera hardware the rest of the costs are pretty much the same. Either way it's going to take some time till my digital costs match or surpass my film costs.

So cost is not part of my equation. The only advantages I have in digital is the TSA screeners don't give me any grief about hand screening my film and if I need a print now, I can do that with my pc and stuff at home.

OK, that's my 2 cents worth om film vs digital cost.....

Bob

                          /////
                         ( O O )
--------------------oOOO-----O----OOOo-----73 de w8imo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Woman on trip with photographer always gets exposed............