Art with freedom not art for free

There's a little misunderstanding of my use of the word "free"
Free as in freedom from corporate control.

Over the last couple years I have completely ignored copyright. I have
shot and sold pictures as ever before.
No problems

I really don't care if some schoolboy in Wyoming has my picture on his
website without a credit.
Or for that matter if some restaurant in Peru has my picture of noodles on
their menu. I've been paid well for he shot and why be greedy. Let's make
new pics already

I have just finished an architectural shoot for the local municipality. I
worked 4 days and delivered 98 final images chosen from 16GIGs of shot
images. I charged $1500 a day plus photoshopping etc. They will use them
in a presentation but they can use them later for whatever they want.

The 100 pics are theirs. Some beauties amongst them. In 2 days I begin
work on a book about the city. Same client. Same subject matter.

For 35 years that's how it's been. One assignment, then a new assignment,
then a new client, then in the studio, then on location.... It's a
business. It kept me and my family fed, put two children through
university (One is a photographer in London now) and bought two houses and
several cars. and now I'm semi-retired, teaching but still shooting.

Why should copyright laws make art more valuable to the artist?

Don't be brainwashed into thinking that you can't sell your art without them.
herschel