but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

From: "karl shah-jenner" <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

: Ah yes,
:
: I had forgotten the physics experiment of years ago in which we made
: a difraction image using a point ( well almost ) source and an
: intervening object.
: With sufficient exposure time on photo paper ( I think the time was
: about 10 minutes ) one obtained a shadow image of the object
: surrounded by 'halo' rings of diminishing intensity as you have
: described.  So a sufficiently sensitive sensor could image such
: 'halos' and record them.
:
: Nice that you pointed that out.

you're describing an Airy disk pattern of diffraction, not a halo or halation
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/cirapp2.html

and a nice explanation:
http://www.oldham-optical.co.uk/Airy%20Disk.htm

all sensors will record this, paper just recorded it slowly in your experiment as the paper is slow