Re: Of These Choices... [was "RE: Macro Camera Recommendations"]

Charisma L Riley wrote:

Here are a few recommendations I've received... please tell me which you think might be the best. "Best" for us, in this case, means the following:  versatility (range of options, accessories and lenses), automatic adjustment help, superb macro capability & ability to take photos of small objects in awkward, small places (whether via the camera itself or with attachments) - and it needs to be in the $1000-3000 range - camera body only, of course).

CANON

   1. EOS 1Ds Mark III
   2. EOS 1D Mark III
   3. EOS 5D
   4. EOS 40D

NIKON

   1. D3
   2. D2Xs
   3. D2Hs
   4. D300

Please vote for your favorite - and please reply with links to photos illustrating your point, if possible.

All of the cameras you list are good cameras.

I am a Canon shooter so I am a bit biased........

That being said, I would eliminate the EOS 5D strictly because of its age.

The 1Ds III    was announced August 2007            About $8000      Body only    Digic III image processor
The  1D III     was announced  August 2007          About $4500       Body only    Digic III image processor
The    5D        was announced August 2005           About $2500       Body only    Digic II image processor
The    40D      was announced  February 2007       About $1300       Body only    Digic III image processor

The 1Ds and the 5D have full 35mm frame sensors  while the 1D and 40D do not.

Then you have to look deeper into the systems available, Canon and Nikon, to see if the equipment you will need is available

Then you have to add up the $$$$$ and see if your budget will allow the expenditure.

You can easily run up to near $20,000.

If this is a short term project you should consider Emily's advice and hire a pro that specializes in this type of photography.

For general photography you might consider a 40D and a lens that will suit your needs/wants.

Comparisons can be found at http://www.dpreview.com

You might find more help at http://photo.net

You are wise in seeking advice here before spending a bunch of money.

Bob

--

                           /////
                          ( O O )