Re: Brightness Range capture (was Nothing to do, ...)

Roy, what I was referring to, particularly with regard to the Zone System,
was not the increase of contrast but the expansion of the tonal range.
Almighty Ansel did this, as did I, with quite favorable results using B/W
neg film. In my experiments, the tone/detail WAS there; the resulting images
had considerably more detail in the shadow areas, as well as in the
highlights. Without going too heavily into the process, I used an
expanded-tonal-range treatment (as prescribed in Chris Johnson's elaborate
description of the Zone System) in the developing process (using PMK, or
"Pyro" developer), then giving the print a delicious bath in good ol'
selenium toner, which expanded the tonal range even more. No burning, no
dodging, but I was still looking at a representation on paper of what was
about a 9-stop difference in the real world. Unfortunately, though, the
overly convenient subject matter (the rear of my parked car, complete with
my "35TO4X5" license tag) made for an uninteresting image apart from the
lack of blown-out highlights or loss of shadow texture.

This deviates a bit from my original question, which was aimed primarily at
ascertaining the maximum tonal range of a print (whether digital or
chemical) and how it relates to the ability of the capture device. As
analogies go, I suppose this is loosely sort of like shooting with a 12- or
16-bit CCD and being limited to an 8-bit printer.

In short, where are the limits of print blackness in relation to a "pure"
(read: 93% reflectance, for example) white paper?

Yours very truly,
Darin Heinz
Melbourne, Florida USA

See my photographs online at http://www.darinheinz.com