Re: Brightness Range capture (was Nothing to do, ...)

In a message dated 11/21/2007 2:12:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, spacecoastphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>    I suppose it would be possible to have
 >   hundreds of stops between the darkest and lightest areas
    Brightness refers to scene brightness and it just happens to measured in stops. What I have considered in the past as the definition of brightness has changed a bit. It really means detail or tone and as far as I know it is fixed in a given scene. If you look in the Gallery this week at Roger Eichhorn's Pit Stop you can see the problem as the buildings in the background are bright white with out much tone/detail. Now in a very high brightness scene one can make a two maybe three exposure at varying levels and get all the detail the scene has to offer. This is what the Photoshop CS2 can do. You make two exposures, one with a high exposure and one with a low exposure and Photoshop combines into one printable file.But the scene has to stand still while you do the two exposures. People and event s don't stand still but landscape usually does.
    I shoot only slides but I was considering shooting color negatives if I can get the brightness range in the negative and then on to the paper. I have a B&W negative I shot many years ago that has the same problem as Roger picture. I think I have finally fiddle with it enough in Photoshop 7.0 to where I filled in the blank white area so it doesn't look fake or manipulated. If I have time this week end I try printing it to see what it looks like in a print.

       > With the software available, you could conceivably expand the range between those two
        >extremes  and create more intermediate grey tones,

    I don't think you can create tones/detail which are not there. At least not with Photoshop 7.0 You can make something more contrasty but you are just stretching out the tones you got.

Roy