Re: HD Photo to become JPEG XR

----- Original Message -----
From: "Laurenz Bobke" <laurenzb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 1:42 PM
: Re: HD Photo to become JPEG XR

: 2007/11/4, Alexander Georgiadis <georgiadis@xxxxxxxxx>:
: >
: > I wonder how many existing cameras will get new firmware to allow
shooting
: > in XR? And how many will become ''obsolete".
:
:
: Wouldn't the transition be a very slow process anyway? I'm not sure how
: current web applications could deal with the new format, but in the past
it
: has taken ages for new web standards to replace outdated ones.

MS has it built into Vista, so anyone who's bought into that debacle has it
built in, ready to go.

Adobe already write largely useless Adobe rubbish to images destined for
the web and no one seems to have problems with that.. even though it bloats
images horribly.

As to displaying the images, this new JPEG XR, whether the image is
viewable is browser dependant, and people update, patch and allow third
parties to modify their browsers all the time so a new standard can rapidly
be deployed these days with little or no impact.  For those who might want
to see the image outside of the browser - it'd simply be a matter of
downloading irfanview or any other image browser that supports the format
or downloading the appropriate plugin to make things work.  PNG was so
rapidly deployed that no one looking at a PNG would have ever known it was
an unsupported format not that long back.  the DivX codec was a pipedream
.. until all of a sudden it was with us and a simple update to our
respective choice of media players saw it as integrated as any other
format/container.

These days it's easy to get new stuff happening as long as the Big Players
choose to jump in the sandpit and play - and both MS and Adobe® have joined
the party..

: And showing their pictures on the web or sending them by mail or MMS is a
: very important application for many photographers.
: On the other hand, I'd think that most pros shoot raw anyway and thus it
: would mainly be a matter of converting raw or tif files to another
: jpg-format?

<rant>
The what 'most pros do' point is one I always have problems with.  Back in
the film-only days I used to hear 'most pros shoot chromes' comment, one I
found odd given the limited capabilities of chromes to record anything near
what a negative film could record.  And transferring a chrome to a print
resulted in even more loss.  The odd polaroid instant slide film however
which DID have a huge range was abhorred by slide shooters because it
looked 'muddy' as a transparency - in fact it had the broadest dynamic
capture of any slide film and Cibachromes from this stuff had far more
realism, approaching C41 films with a comparable degree of sharpness to
boot.  (side note for the cibachrome addicts, Ilfoflex polyester based
print film was available for C41 shooters too, with the same rich colour
and texture as cibachromes)

Another justification was that you had to be good with your exposures with
chromes.  No guesswork there, if you got it off by half a stop you were dog
meat.  It was almost a badge of honour - you had to be good to shoot
slide..

And here we are in the age of instant previews where a 'spot on' shooter
can get the exposure bang on with a jpeg then peak at the back of the
camera to confirm this (with even a histogram to check as well!), yet pros
now choose to shoot the equivalent of neg films.

It all seems very contrary.

I find myself going the other way - I shoot neg film almost exclusively,
and digitally - jpegs.  Since the printers are 8 bit, the monitors we look
at are fed by 8 bit video cards (unless you're using a Matrox with a CRT) -
from go to whoah *if* my shot was bang on exposure wise an 8 bit jpeg will
do the job from start to finish for 90% of my shots.  If I want an HDR
modification to an image though, ie, to jack the exposure up in low lit
areas to raise them to comparable levels of the well lit areas either 2
jpeg shots at appropriate exposures OR a RAW will get me there, in which
case, i'd shoot the image in RAW.

There is nothing I can see that makes the digital container format whatever
it is any more or less professional than what type of film one used - and
the *only* thing that made a film 'professional' was consistency between
rolls - something anyone could achieve by testing film or buying film in
batches.  To top it off, I met very, very few photographers pro or
otherwise who ever tested a film, either with a densitometer or by shooting
test shots of something like a Gretag test chart.

So why my choice for jpeg?  it writes quicker to the card, I can get more
on the card, and in 90% of cases I can get all the image information I need
at the time of capture.  It's also, one way or another, what we end up with
(8 bit) for web viewing or printing.

Why would I shoot RAW?  I'm iffy about the exposure (rare), I'm drunk and
can't think straight enough to get the exposure right (rare), or I want a
greater dynamic range to play with than the jpeg (chrome equivalent) can
grab - like with some night shots.

While I'm ranting and rambling again, I'd also be inclined to ask who
shoots automated?  Aperture priority, shutter priority or full auto?  ..or
uses an auto flash / ttl flash or any other method of exposure automation?
Do pros do that?  do they *really* trust the electronics of the camera to
guess the exposure for them?  In such cases then a high dynamic range image
is probably necessary..  No matter how good the exposure meter in-camera is
it is just as readily fooled as any other incident light meter if pointed
at a non-average, non 18% reflective subject - especially in the hands of
anyone who cannot judge or evaluate exposures accurately.

</rant>

<breathes>

If however we are looking to the people who sell us things to see what they
are doing, we find Adobe has had their hand in the pie with MS in
supporting this new format..

http://www.news.com/Vista-to-give-HD-Photo-format-more-exposure/2100-1045_3
-6153730.html

"Adobe Systems, the most influential image-editing software maker by virtue
of its Photoshop products, is helping support HD Photo, said Kevin Connor,
Adobe's senior director of product management".. etc

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9767396-39.html
"Adobe Systems' Digital Negative (DNG) format isn't a competitor to JPEG
XR, a format Microsoft created as a higher-end replacement for conventional
JPEG, an Adobe executive has predicted. ".. "According to .. Microsoft's
principal program manager for emerging image and video technology, with
JPEG XR, "You're giving people much of the capability of raw in a
convenient file format. On the ultra-high-end there might be still a
preference to use raw."

If we're looking for something that might be quicker and faster than RAW
but with the extended dynamic range of a RAW, then examining the format
will reveal it may just be this new thing Jpeg XR.. it may even be smaller
(thus potentially faster again to write) than the jpeg we currently know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Photo
HD Photo is an image codec that gives a high-dynamic-range image encoding
while requiring only integer operations (with no divides) for both
compression and decompression. It supports monochrome, RGB, CMYK and even
n-channel color representation, using up to 16-bit unsigned integer
representation, or up to 32-bit fixed point or floating point
representation, and also supports RGBE Radiance. It may optionally include
an embedded ICC color profile, to achieve consistent color representation
across multiple devices. An alpha channel may be present for transparency,
and Exif and XMP metadata formats are supported. The format allows decoding
part of an image, without decoding the entire image. Full decoding is also
unnecessary for certain operations such as cropping, downsampling,
horizontal or vertical flips, or cardinal rotations.

All color representations are transformed to an internal color
representation. The transformation is entirely reversible, so, by using
appropriate quantizers, both lossy and lossless compression can be
achieved.

"HD Photo uses a TIFF-like file container "

"JPEG supports bit depths of 8 and 12 bits; HD Photo supports bit depths of
up to 32 bits. HD Photo also supports lossless compression of
floating-point image data; this works by representing the floating-point
values in an IEEE 754-like format, and encoding them as though they were
integers"

"The HD Photo bitstream specification claims that "HD Photo offers image
quality comparable to JPEG-2000 with computational and memory performance
more closely comparable to JPEG", that it "delivers a lossy compressed
image of better perceptive quality than JPEG at less than half the file
size", and that "lossless compressed images . are typically 2.5 times
smaller than the original uncompressed data"."

"Application support
There are plugins for Adobe Photoshop and Paint.NET for exporting (saving)
to the HD Photo image format.
Windows Vista has native HD Photo viewing support via Windows Photo
Gallery. Windows Live Photo Gallery can be used to view HD Photo images on
Windows XP and Windows Vista.
Microsoft Expression Design supports importing and exporting HD Photo
images using WIC. Expression Media supports importing HD Photo images.
IrfanView 4.10 supports importing HD Photo images via a plugin.
Paint.NET 3.10 supports importing and exporting HD Photo images via a
plugin. [3]
XnView via a plugin"

time will tell of course, but as Alexander suggested, it will almost
definitely spur a new camera buying frenzy based on the perception of
obsolescence with existing cameras should a RAW/Jpeg XR camera hit the
stores, just as tiff/jpeg cameras were replaced en mass when RAW/jpeg
cameras hit the market :/

Me?  I'm unlikely to make a change to a new format unless I see some vastly
superior changes to the in-camera processing times to write the thing.  As
to the size - whether or not the written files are smaller probably won't
impact on my choice given the low cost of memory these days.

Karl,
drowning in cynicism again